Thursday, September 18, 2008

Exercise #7

Something technology related, eh?

I guess one thing that occupies my mind quite a bit is how many customers we have with low technology skills. I think there are assumptions made by us (as daily and skilled computer users) that everyone has the same skills we have. And it's just not true. Anyone who has every worked a reference desk can attest to the fact that there are people who use computers without knowing what they are doing. They have no concept of how the Internet or e-mail or MP3 players work and this can create some real confusion.

I would urge libraries to consider this before they adopt every new and exciting program that comes down the pike. And most of all, I would ask employers to continue to accept paper job applications for jobs that do not require computer knowledge. There is no reason to expect a potential janitor to spend his hour at the library filling out an online application. It's unreasonable.

No comments: